2020 Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off Field Announced
FORT MYERS, Fla. (Nov. 27, 2019) – The teams for the 2020 Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans Fort Myers Tip-Off were announced today, revealing a field that features some of college basketball’s most recognizable programs. Butler, Colorado, South Florida and Wisconsin will travel to Southwest Florida to participate in the third-annual Tournament on Nov. 23-25, 2020.
The event will take place at Suncoast Credit Union Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. Matchups and game times will be announced next summer.
Together, the four programs boast a combined 57 NCAA Tournament appearances, including eight Final Four appearances, and 63 conference championships. Since 2010, Butler and Wisconsin have each been to a pair of Final Fours and have competed in the national championship game, while Colorado has won 20 or more games in six of nine seasons under head coach Tad Boyle. And on the heels of a 24-win season capped by the CBI Championship, South Florida is poised to return three of its top scorers by the time the Bulls arrive in Fort Myers in 2020.
“The talent that each of these four programs will bring to Southwest Florida next year will make the Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off a can’t-miss event in 2020,” said Drew Russell executive vice president at Intersport, which operates the event. “To continue to attract such high-caliber teams to Fort Myers for this annual event is what we envisioned when we launched the event in 2018. With Butler and Wisconsin having achieved and sustained incredible postseason success with trips to the Final Four, to Colorado and South Florida establishing themselves as formidable challengers for conference championships this season and beyond, the 2020 event will be an incredible proving ground for these teams as they kick off the season.”
Select school travel packages for the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off are on sale now and can be secured by visiting fmto.wpengine.com/travel. Game tickets, flexible hotel accommodations and additional tournament activities such as golf and dolphin cruises are available to create a custom travel itinerary.
When the tournament tips off in November 2020, the Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off will have welcomed teams from nine different major conferences, including two participating teams each from the ACC, Big Ten and Missouri Valley along with representation from the A-10, American, Big East, Big 12, Mountain West and the Pac-12.
About the Teams of the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off
Butler (Big East)
- Has recorded 15 20-win seasons since the turn of the century
- Butler boasts 20 all-time conference championships
- The Bulldogs have made 16 all-time NCAA Tournament appearances, with Final Four appearances in 2010 and 2011
- 10 of the program’s 16 NCAA Tournament appearances have come in the last 13 years
- Since the 2010 season, the Bulldogs have played 23 NCAA Tournament games, which ranks among the top 15 in the country
- Head Coach LaVall Jordan, a Butler alum and former assistant, took over as the program’s head coach prior to the 2017-18 season, and has led the Bulldogs to consecutive postseason appearances
- The Bulldogs won the 2019 Hall of Fame Classic championship on Tuesday night
- Colorado has made eight postseason appearances in nine years under head coach Tad Boyle; the program had made eight postseason appearances in the 20 years prior to Boyle’s arrival
- Colorado boasts 14 NCAA Tournament appearances in program history, with four berths under Boyle; the program had made just four NCAA appearances from 1963-2011
- The Buffaloes have won 20 or more games six times in the last nine seasons
- Colorado was selected to finish second in the 2019-20 Pac-12 Conference by the league’s preseason media poll
- The Buffaloes, after winning 23 games a season ago, rank in the top 25 for the first time since 2014
- Colorado junior Maddox Daniels will return to the campus of Florida SouthWestern State College, where he played from 2017-19
- Claimed the 2019 MGM Main Event Tournament title on Tuesday night
South Florida (American)
- The Bulls won a program-record 24 games and claimed the CBI Championship last season
- South Florida’s 24-win campaign last year was the team’s first 20-win season since the 2011-12 campaign
- Head coach Brian Gregory, who is now in his third season with the program, has led the Bulls to 34 wins during his first two years; the program had 36 combined victories in the four seasons prior to Gregory’s arrival
- Gregory is in his 16th season as a head coach, and is nearing 300 career victories
- South Florida was the only team to have three players named to the American Athletic Conference Preseason All-Conference Team
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
- The Badgers have won 21 conference championships in program history
- Wisconsin has made 24 NCAA appearances all time, and is one of just five programs to play in 20 of the last 21 NCAA Tournaments
- The Badgers have finished in the top four of the Big Ten regular season standings 18 times in the last 19 years
- Since 2010, the Badgers have played 27 NCAA Tournament games, which ranks among the top 10 in the nation
- The Badgers have two Final Four appearances with head coach Greg Gard as an assistant (2014 and 2015)
- Wisconsin is one of just three teams to reach the Sweet 16 in six of the last nine seasons, joining Kansas and Kentucky
For more information about the Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans Fort Myers Tip-Off and all event updates, please follow us on Twitter, @FtMyersTipoff, or visit fmto.wpengine.com.
About the Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans Fort Myers Tip-Off
Launched in 2018, the Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off brings the nation’s top college basketball programs together for two days of incredible competition to see which team and their fans will #OwnTheFort during Thanksgiving Week. Contested at Suncoast Credit Union Arena, the home of Florida SouthWestern State College, the four-team tournament has quickly become a staple of the Southwest Florida sports calendar. For more information on the Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off, please visit fmto.wpengine.com.
Since 1985, Intersport has been an award-winning innovator and leader in the creation of sports, lifestyle, culinary and entertainment-based marketing platforms. With expertise in Sponsorship Consulting, Experiential Marketing, Hospitality, Retail Engagement, Content Marketing, Productions and Property Creation, this Chicago-based Marketing & Media Solutions Company helps its clients engage consumers with compelling ideas, content and experiences. To learn more about Intersport, visit www.intersport.global, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram.